The Freemover Option

Freemovers are students who freely organize their semester abroad at a university. This means that, independent of the university coordination partners (such as IS:link and Erasmus), they either choose a university themselves and take on the planning and organisation on their own initiative or they go abroad to study through an organisation of their choice.

Notes for Freemovers

If you have decided to organize your semester abroad on your own responsibility, you should take into account that individually organized stays abroad differ in some points from those of the Erasmus and IS:link network.

As a freemover, a high degree of independence is expected of you.

Contact to IS:link

First you have to take care of the nomination and application deadlines yourself and inform the IS:link team. Furthermore, contact and communication with the exchange university is your responsibility. Furthermore, you will not receive any help regarding the choice of course. IS:link only takes care of the production of the documents for the verification of course credit and later recognition.

As a freemover you are also obliged to fill in a Learning Agreement, which is checked by IS:link and forwarded to the examination board to ensure the creditability of the courses.

Financing Options

Freemovers also have a higher financial burden, because in addition to the basic costs such as travel, accommodation, etc., there are also tuition fees of the foreign university, which have to be paid by the students themselves.

Scholarships like Promos or Due-Mobil can also be applied for by Freemovers.